Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 77 Lost Worlds

Post subject: Rules
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Jim,

How about a quick explanation of the rules?

Craig J. Brain

Post subject: Re: Rules
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:04 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

Lol the question is much easier than the answer.

I'm always looking in my design projects to do different things. My co-designer Stephen Lee came up with a brilliant backstory that I fell in love with the first time I heard it. I'm also happy to say he didn't call me crazy when I detailed the major game mechanic of the game.

77 Lost Worlds uses a deck of cards for each player and the Game Master to decide things that dice usually do. However, it doesn't stop there. The cards also set the mood of the game as cards are revealed.

In Combat when a player attacks they draw cards depending on their rank. Low ranked characters draw one card. The higher in rank the more cards are drawn at the same time. Attackers what to draw hearts to strike. Diamonds hit for glancing blows. Defenders want to draw spades to absorb the punishment.

During the course of play when black cards are drawn, bad things happen to the players. Red cards mean good things happen. The higher the card the greater the force of the hood and bad things.

The cards are used for other actions as well. When a person needs to figure out a piece of technology they must draw a diamond. When a character wants to do something dexterous they must draw a club.

There are nine fun character classes with their own powers and abilities.

The box set is for beginners. An advanced hardbound book is planned for next year.

James M. Ward

Metamorphosis Alpha 1e rules reprint.
The Eldritch Enterprises DriveThru Page

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:54 am 
Gunnery Sergeant - E7
Gunnery Sergeant - E7

From the other thread...

Quote:
The Playing Card Rules
Unlike most roleplaying games, Apocalyptic Space does not use dice. Instead, the Game Master and each player should have a deck of cards with two jokers. When a random factor is called for, someone will flip up one or more cards to determine what happens.

Just to be sure, let’s be perfectly clear about that. No dice are used in Apocalyptic Space. Standard decks of playing cards with 52 cards and two jokers generate all the randomness needed in the game.

Red cards are always positive. Black cards indicate a setback or a failure of some kind—but some characters can turn some black cards into success anyway.

Face cards (king, queen, and jack) are high, and aces are highest of all. Whenever the rules mention a “high card,” it means a jack, queen, king, or ace. When one of these cards is flipped, it will have a large effect, as interpreted by the Game Master. Low cards (5 or less) call for little or nothing to happen. Mid-range cards (6-10) mean that events unfolded about as you’d expect, without great success or great failure. Remember that this applies whether the card was red or black. In other words, the king of ♦ typically means a great success, while the king of ♣ means a great failure. The 2 of ♦ means a minor or narrow success, while the 2 of ♣ means a minor or narrow failure.

Except where a card's meaning is specified in the rules, the Game Master decides a card's exact effect using the simple guidelines that follow.

Suits Table
Suit General Effect Specific Effect
(Success)
♥ Heart Excellent An attack scores a solid hit
♦ Diamond Good An attack scores a glancing hit
Figure out Technology
♣ Club Poor A feat of dexterity
athleticism succeeds
Open Locks
♠ Spade Terrible A feat of strength or endurance succeeds
A defender dodges or blocks an attack

♥ Hearts provide excellent results except when defending. Drawing a ♥ while attacking always means a successful strike. When a ♥ turns up, the Game Master knows that things are going well for the characters. Hearts are most important during combat.

♦ Diamonds provide good results. Drawing a ♦ while attacking means the attack struck a glancing blow; not as good as a solid strike but better than a miss. When a ♦ turns up, it tells the Game Master that the characters are having minor success or are making progress, but slowly. Diamonds are also important when characters try to figure out unfamiliar technology.

♣ Clubs indicate a minor failure or a setback. When a ♣ turns up, whatever action the character was attempting didn't work out, but even if the ♣ is high (a face card or an ace), the effect will be more of an inconvenience or a small difficulty, not a catastrophe. The one exception is when a character is trying to do something acrobatic or that requires great dexterity such as climbing a wall, jumping from rooftop to rooftop, or opening a lock without the key. In those cases, ♣ represent success.

♠ Spades indicate that whatever the character is trying to do, it didn’t work out. The higher the ♠, the worse the outcome. On a face card or an ace, the outcome can be terrible or even life-threatening. There are two exceptions: when attempting a feat of exceptional strength or endurance, and when defending yourself against an attack. A ♠ represents success when an action is a test of strength or when a character is trying to avoid being struck in combat.

OD&D DungeonMaster - Started with the white box in 1975.
Member #005 to join these boards!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:55 pm 
Lance Corporal - E3
Lance Corporal - E3

Hello Everyone. James pointed me to this new forum. If you're interested in seeing a preview of the rule book and the adventure book in the boxed set, go to http://77worlds.com and you will find previews of the books as well as a free story based in the Egyptian section of the lunar resort.

Cheers,
Stephen A. Lee

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:37 am 
Lance Corporal - E3
Lance Corporal - E3

If you have questions on the rules please ask for clarification here, on 77world.com, or on Facebook. I plan to update the rules Q&A and examples of play when I have some down time next month and will post that update on the website.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:56 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

I just finished a huge Egyptian Adventure. I'm currently working on a Camelot short story idea. There are going to be a lot of surprises coming in this new exciting RPG. I'm going to be working on a hardbound soon.

James M. Ward

Metamorphosis Alpha 1e rules reprint.
The Eldritch Enterprises DriveThru Page

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Jim,

A Hardbound!

You smooth-talking devil :)

You had me at "I'm working on another..."

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Stephen and Jim,

My copy of the rules will soon be on their way, but what I wanted to know was would those rules be usable in other settings? For example, I am looking for a set of rules to run my setting "The Sargasso", could they do that?

Thanks,

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:36 am 
Lance Corporal - E3
Lance Corporal - E3

Greetings,

The new FREE PDF's which bring you updated Character Sheets, Pre Generated character types updated and in the new format, Expanded details on the Ward Card System (WCS), and Rule Clarification in the Eratta file which also includes the new Character Type Chart for easy reference are now online. http://firesidecreations.com/games-m1/77worlds/character

Craig, The basic rules presented in the Boxed set for mainly aimed at the Lunar Resort. We are working on a number of additions which would work well for a shipyard in space. In fact, that is what the Jupiter Shipyards expansion is all about. Combined with the mutagens, and genetic retro viruses in the Blasted Earth expansion (James is currently working on this hardback) it would be well suited. Sadly, these things take time for a small company but expect to see both in 2016.

Given the nature of the Jupiter Shipyards in 77 worlds, it will be very much like "The Sargasso" except some ships are in perfect shape while others are hulks or only partially functional. Perhaps we can collaborate.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Stephen,

This sounds promising :)

I am going to look forward to seeing these products!

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:11 am 
Lance Corporal - E3
Lance Corporal - E3

Converting space faring equipment from the MD game I initially designed to the WCS rules James put together has been fairly easy going. However, converting the ship to ship rules presents quite the challenge. I will need some play testers to vet the mechanics. The Lost 77 Words is mainly an RPG so ship to ship combat does not occur as often as in tabletop games designed for such but I am attempting to address most situations in the next 4 supplement releases. When we are done with Sol System from a supplement release perspective all 7 books will fit neatly into the Basic Set Box with AS1 and AS2. Once these are all published the format will change a bit as we begin to address more advanced rules.

I mention this in passing as I found working on the final bits of the SURFACE adventure I needed to pull in a good bit of Advanced Sci-Fi equipment and some minor ship rules. We are getting very close to sending Surface off to the editors to shred and make better. :)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Stephen,

The ship-to-ship rules will be handy for me :)

Yet another product in this line for me to look forward too :)

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:33 am 
Lance Corporal - E3
Lance Corporal - E3

Advanced Space Equipment, Ship types, Ship Weapons and systems, and Deck plans... its a lot to tackle. We are making great progress. For an insight to the Jupiter Ship Yards see James's short story in our Apocalyptic Space Anthology due out in August. We will also have a new Adventure modules which takes place among the ruins of ships in earth orbit including the long awaited alien star ship. The new module should be out before Christmas.

Ship to Ship combat is less important in the game for inner Sol system but its in development for alternate campaigns and expeditions to the outer solar systems as well as the colony worlds of course.

Board index » 77 Lost Worlds