Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 77 Lost Worlds

Post subject: Introduction to the game
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Jim,

Can you tell us something about the background/setting of the game?

Craig J. Brain

Post subject: Re: Introduction to the game
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:18 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

Stephen Lee has come up with an amazing storyline. Out in the Milky Way mankind had settled on 77 different worlds, but never found living aliens. On the same day, at the same hour all 77 worlds were attacked by fleets of aliens. Mankind had space fortresses and automated S-ships to defend their systems. After many hours of battle all of the S-ships on all of the worlds determined they couldn't save their worlds from the alien attack fleets. All of the robotic S-ships retreated and flew to Earth Prime. They got back there too late as the alien fleets had concentrated their efforts on the home world of mankind.

The S-ships were able to destroy the invading fleets in the solar system. As alien fleets finished off the other 76 worlds they flew to Earth Prime only to be destroyed the the remaining S-ships.

The Earth was in ruins, however the moon was untouched. Three invading alien races had come to the moon to capture the remaining humans for study. The moon had become a tourist area. Three domes created three different historical periods for tourists to experience. There was an Egyptian dome, a Camelot done, and a roaring '20s Chicago dome.

Aliens attacked these domes and for the first day did massive damage. However, they didn't know about a feature of all of the domes. It seemed tourists were fond of bringing improper technology to the domes. There was nano-technology geared to turn technology that didn't belong into dust. All of the alien combat gear was destroyed and the aliens had no way to leave the domes.

Now the A.I. in underground complexes had several major decisions to make. They decided to make all of the humans under the domes believe they really where Egyptians, King Arthur knights, and gangsters. After being reprogrammed the humans pushed back the aliens and almost killed all three races. The A.I.s left some of each alien race for a challenge to the humans as the years went by.

Now it is 300 years later. Genetic breeding programs have made the perfect human and there are 40,000 of them in each dome. Unfortunately, rare earth minerals used in the computing devices are been exhausted. The A.I. of the moon has decided to train the best of the humans in the domes to send them back to the ruined Earth for the much needed minerals.

Player characters start in the Egyptian dome. The Game Master then helps them live there and figure out there are other domes to be explored.

I think 77 Lost Worlds is some of my best work. I look forward every day to working on the adventures and the bigger projects. I just finished a short story set in the Egyptian dome and there is a large anthology planned for this spring.

James M. Ward

Metamorphosis Alpha 1e rules reprint.
The Eldritch Enterprises DriveThru Page

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:06 pm 
Lance Corporal - E3
Lance Corporal - E3

For those who would enjoy reading the store, we put it in a flip book which you can access for free at http://firesidecreations.com/images/pre ... index.html
I hope you enjoy the story as much as I did.

We have a lot planned for this game including several free adventures and a new game setting on the blasted earth to be released some time next year. I hope to have Science Fiction / Adventure short stories for each of the settings as well as other products and accessories. Many of the stories and starting adventure will be free to download. Products like the anthologies, large adventures, maps, hardback books, and boxed sets will be released in print and electronic media.

Stephen

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:13 am 
Lance Corporal - E3
Lance Corporal - E3

Does the background of the 77 Worlds overlap with Metamorphosis Alpha? In both timelines Earth is destroyed by aliens, androids exist, there are extrasolar colonies, etc.

Just curious if there is an official overlap. Likewise any overlap with Dark Visitor, et al?

I see a lot of common threads in Jim's designs and was wondering if this is because of an overarching shared world, or just things Jim likes in his games.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:00 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

Thanks for the very good question. There is no intent to share a universe. All of these concepts are distinct I.P.s.

Happy Holidays!

James M. Ward

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

I am looking forward to getting hold of a copy of the game. I posted a few ideas for settings over on the 77 Lost Worlds FB page, and one that really tickles my fancy is the idea of a Bermuda Triangle theme park :)

Imagine having just escaped from the Tibetan Alps after being chased by a clan of enraged Yetis, only to stumble out onto a desert and discover the wreck of the Cyclops and be confronted by a civil war officer carrying a Lematt pistol :)

Most players should be sufficiently confused :)

Of course in true Jim style, a TPK should follow shortly afterwards when all players have worked hard to achieve it.

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:24 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

Craig,
You wound me my friend. Although I have a reputation as a TPK referee, and it is earned, I try very hard to warn all players that my adventures are tough and only careful players have a chance.

I don't consider myself to blame if my five players rush through a door only to be grabbed by the swift, invisible monster and eaten.

It's not my fault if the players grab the explosives and begin using them everywhere they go only to blow themselves up after not taking into account the blast radius of such things.

Then (and this happens all the time) there is the firing of powerful energy weapons into a melee. One poor character was hit 6 times by various energy weapons and died. I don't believe this is my fault.

James (poor suffering Game Master) Ward

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:36 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant - E7
Gunnery Sergeant - E7

JamesMWard wrote:
It's not my fault if the players grab the explosives and begin using them everywhere they go only to blow themselves up after not taking into account the blast radius of such things.
It used to be that I would simply chuckle over these kinds of comments that Jim makes. Now I actually understand better how this stuff happens. Jim really does sit back and watch his players destroy themselves. :lol:

OD&D DungeonMaster - Started with the white box in 1975.
Member #005 to join these boards!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

finarvyn wrote:
Jim really does sit back and watch his players destroy themselves. :lol:

I always thought that the players had to work hard towards TPKs. In one of the instances depicted above, the players waving explosives about all I can picture is a few Yosemite Sam-esque characters in a powder room with a lit stick of dynamite. :)

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:34 am 
Lance Corporal - E3
Lance Corporal - E3

Players do often set themselves up for a world of hurt. :) It makes the game entertaining and fun.

I do like the idea of a Bermuda Triangle theme park. There are just so many directions that one could go in. The size of a solid source book for such a place could be staggering. The triangle has been a fascination of mine since I was a very small child.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Stephen,

I am looking forward to that package of books and rules arriving that I ordered!

I am even keen to have a go at writing an adventure or two later on or taking part in the newsletter if you guys accept unsolicited contributors.

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:15 am 
Site Admin

Well,

The package arrived yesterday and I have some heavy-duty reading to do. The rules are pretty straight forward and I am looking forward to trying the game out :)

First though, I've got an anthology to finish reading :)

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:49 am 
Lance Corporal - E3
Lance Corporal - E3

We welcome unsolicited contributions for the news letter and we have an area on the site for fan fiction (Stories and adventures) everyone can share with each other. I hope we have a number of people who come up with interesting things for the 77 Worlds and write them up for our newsletter. I am hoping to publish the first on in May or June of 2016.

:) I am also open to authors submitting stories for the anthology and adventures for publication. I want everyone to participate in the 77 Worlds game at any level they wish to. Of course not all material submitted can be published but we will certainly take a look at it and if its viable we will publish it.

Board index » 77 Lost Worlds