Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Eldritch Enterprises

Post subject: What's New With Eldritch Enterprises?
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:33 am 
Site Admin

Jim Ward has just put up his latest blog here.

Please feel free to discuss Jim's posts here, as well as ask questions about what's happening with the new company.

I've also ordered a hardcopy version of Dark Outpost, and I'll post some info on first impressions of the print version.

In the coming months, I'll do some write ups of print versions of EE's other products, as pocket money allows. Why print versions? Well recent experience with Lulu and CreateSpace shows that there can be a big variation in print quality.

Craig J. Brain

Post subject: Re: What's New With Eldritch Enterprises?
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:04 am 
Site Admin

Jim,

I've been enjoying your blog entries. I've read the latest entry in your blog and note this:
James M. Ward wrote:
I wanted the object searched for to be a tower in the shape of an animal.

This naming convention has a bit of history to it ... Raymond Chandler's "The Maltese Falcon" had a kinda ring to it. :) Squirrel Tower doesn't sound quite so intimidating, and I suspect that is the idea.

Mind you, you pretty much sold me with the Shakespearian reference to comedy. One of my favourite Shakespear inspired adventures was for SPI's DragonQuest, The Blade of Allectus by Nick Karp.

I also like the note about how adventures are named:

James M. Ward wrote:
I could have come up with lots of titles like ones seen before: DRUID’S DOOM, CURSE OF THE DARK FOREST, TREASURE AT WORLD’S END, or DEADLY DRAGON’S DEN. Of course those titles have been done to death and you have seen those words in different titles a thousand times in efforts to attract your attention.

I'd like to see a few adventures with names like "The Temple of Moderate Risk", "The Caverns of Considerable Peril", "The Forest of Almost-Certain Discomfort" and "The Uncertain, But Probably A Bit Dangerous Menace". Adventures for beginning characters where the goal isn't to save the world. Adventures designed for "The B Team".

Why design such adventures?

Ever see Ben Stiller's movie "Mystery Men"? Second-rate heroes that find themselves needing to step up.

"B Team" adventures could turn out to be more dangerous than those that the "A Team" were sent on ;) Perhaps the villain behind the scenes set up a decoy and the "B Team" is all that stands between him and success. Or perhaps not :)

Just a few of my thoughts.

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:41 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

Craig,

I really like your idea on titles that seem harmless but have highly dangerous adventures surrounding them. My three partners don't have much humor in that area, but I'm going to try to push one through. Thanks!

James M. Ward

Metamorphosis Alpha 1e rules reprint.
The Eldritch Enterprises DriveThru Page

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

Jim,

Years ago I ran an adventure where a group of new characters were inducted into a prestigious order (The Grey Order) - as low level members of the Adventurer's Guild (the was in DragonQuest). Admittedly, the plot of the adventure borrowed ideas from a few different books I had read.

The key members of the adventurer's guild were summoned to go on a desperately important mission, and were gone far longer than expected. The PCs were given the task of keeping the manor in good shape and keeping an eye on the animals.

Unbeknownst to the PCs or the Grey Order NPCs, the main villain was using the absence of the powerful NPCs as a chance to get hold of some magical artifacts that had been lost to him decades earlier. First there were attempts to break in, by thieves then a couple of attempts to assassinate players, until they got lucky and found out a little of what was going on. So much for honor amongst thieves or assasins for that matter :)

The PCs had to foil the villain, once they discovered there was a villain, and then find out what was keeping the powerful NPCs away for so long.

So the PCs decided that they had to find the Grey Order and get them to return. They approached the main Guild, not realizing that the Guild had been infiltrated by the villain, and requested that the Guild provide somebody to look after the manor, while they chased the Grey Order. The Guild happily obliged and (unknowingly) placed the villain himself in charge of the manor :)

What the PCs discovered that the Grey Order was now under a curse to destroy evil wherever they encountered in, in whatever form it took. The Grey Order had become the Grim Crusade and were leaving a path of destruction behind them as everyone they encountered was found wanting for even the most minor transgression.

Unfortunately, the PCs opted to ambush the Grim Crusade in a village that they we quite literally holding court in, rather than destroy the artifact that was the source of the curse, and they perished. :(

In this case, the PCs were the "B Team", but in the end so much relied upon what they were going to do :) Pity they botched it :)

Craig J. Brain

P.S. The artifact was an Inquisitor's Ledger containing names and details of those found wanting ;)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:10 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

THE SCARLET WIZARD'S TOWER

On Drivethrurph.com you can find this new short adventure. I just ran it Sunday night on Dragonsfoot.org and it went very well.

On December 30th, Sunday at 5.00 P.M. Wisconsin Central time I will be running the first part of SQUIRREL TOWER a product I hope to get on Sale in January.

Happy Holidays!

James M. Ward

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:06 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

Please check out the Eldtrichent.com website for the HARDBOUND DARK COLONY. We made exactly 50 signed and numbered hardbound copies of that book. When they are gone we aren't making any more.

This limited release Deluxe Edition of James M. Ward's and Christopher Clark's Dark Outpost is 107 pages filled with sci-fi goodnees and contains MANY additional features including:

Two additional Appendices packed with new encounters and gadgets

A full color title deed to the Planet Kask Outpost Station that makes YOU the owner of the station! (suitable for framing)

A CD-ROM with a complete sound gallery with both generic drop-in sounds for use during play, and all of the NPCs that inhabit the station. Its like having James Ward over to "guest GM"! and a complete bookmarked pdf of the entire adventure.

Printed as a hardcover for durability.

Each copy also comes with an author's authentication page that is signed and numbered by the authors. Only 50 will ever be released to the general public. A collectors dream!

US$49.95

James M. Ward

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

Jim,

I'd be keen to grab one of those!

I'll check that out shortly.

Craig J. Brain

EDIT: Done - just paid for it :)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:49 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

I want to thank my buddy Craig once again. On Eldritch we are now selling a one time only Dark Outpost in a hard bound version. The version has extra material, a cool certificate, and it's about the only thing I have every personally signed and numbered. There are only fifty of them made and I think there are only about 20 left for sale.

Craig was nice enough to buy one. I was talking to my partner Chris who said he had a purchase from Australia. I said I bet it was my good friend Craig and low and behold it was. Thanks Chris I hope you like it.

James M. Ward

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Jim,

I would bet body parts that I am going to love it :)

I'll be keeping an eye on that letter box.

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:28 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

I've put up another blog page on the eldritchent.com web site. It's under creators.

If you are going to Gary Con this month and next week please come over and say hello.

best,
James M. Ward

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:05 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

My Monday morning blog is up if any of you want to read more of my silliness.
eldritchent.com

I do try hard to post every Monday.

James M. Ward

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:41 pm 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

5-12-2013

It's Monday! My DM's blog is up at eldritchent.com if you are interested in rpgs. I look forward to a day of typing. I always twitter at least 3 times a day if you are interested in that sort of thing at JamesMWard3

I'm going down to Texas early next month to one of the best run conventions. I hope to see some of you there.

Best,

James M. Ward

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:39 am 
Site Admin

Jim,

I see that Dark Colony now has a new cover. It looks great! Has the interior artwork changed at all, or are there any other differences?

I'll probably grab a copy of the new version when your next one is released :)

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:01 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

You always ask the good questions my friend. An artist volunteered that new cover and it was so great we had to use it. The guts of the product are still the same. Here is a bit more on the DARK series.

Currently I'm working on DARK COLONY with Tim Kask. DARK OUTPOST is out for sales and can be seen on the Eldritchent website. It's a generic science fiction adventure that can be used with any game system. DARK VISITOR is coming up for peer review among the partners. It's the second in the DARK series and details an alien spaceship coming into the solar system. Chris Clark and I did that one and I'm very proud of that work. It should appear for sale about August.

We are tossing around doing a large accessory in the DARK series presenting lots of alien creatures and useful technology.

James M. Ward

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Jim,

I will look forward to seeing any new products in the Dark Series. I am also hoping to see a complete hardback at some point :)

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:15 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

It's another Monday and it doesn't matter to me that it's a holiday. My blog page is up at eldritchent.com if you feel like reading it. I am also tweeting at JamesMWard3 if you feel like following me there as I post three times a day.

James M. Ward

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Jim,

I see you've been running Dark Outpost at the Con. How'd that go?

When do we get a look at the cover of the next adventure? :)

Craig J. Brain

BTW, I checked your Twitter page today. Chapter 4 of what? You've got me curious!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:17 am 
Master Sergeant - E8
Master Sergeant - E8

So many good questions asked.

Chapter 4 of what?
I'm writing a new novel, but only late at night because I don't have the time during the day. I love the Dresden Modern Day wizardry set of books so much that I have to write at least one of those.

My character is Dermott MacMurrough he's a Master Locksmith living in our world. He's the seventh son of a seventh son and can do some types of magic. I'll try posting the first chapter here, but remember it's raw Ward and it has my (C) notice.

PROLOGUE – A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A MASTER LOCK SMITH

Cute little Susie Conners was just eleven and a half months old. At two A.M. on the night of the full moon, she decided it was the perfect time to learn how to climb out of her crib. Two leg swings and a hand grab on her fish bowl patterned blanky and she was on the floor crawling out of her baby room and into the hall, as fast as her chubby little hands and legs could propel her.

Looking both ways down the corridor she saw Nana Conner sleeping in daddy’s chair in the TV room. That way probably wouldn’t be fun as Nana would scoop her up and put her back to bed. She yawned; a little tired, but still game and looked down the other way. Daddy’s secret room, that had to be a perfect place to explore.
Her mother and father told her never to go into his study. What mommy and daddy didn’t know was good; the unusually savvy baby girl thought as she toddled along.
Some quick maneuverings, with her blanky following in her tight little grasp brought her into the big secret room. She instantly gravitated toward the old Anderson 1901 floor safe. Bill Connors was leaving the large safe door open lately because it was getting harder and harder to unlock the old safe as the mechanical guts were wearing down and skipping as he tried to use the combination to open the ancient device.
Little Susie peeked around the door and looked inside. From the light of the full moon shining through the window, she noted a huge cave in the form of the empty lower half of the safe. She crawled in recalling all the fun adventures in caves her fantasy loving daddy told her in the last year of bedtime stories in an effort to make sure she wasn’t afraid of the dark.
The uneven floor boards under the safe tilted a bit with the baby’s weight, in the back half of the safe. The heavy safe door promptly closed. Only an inch of the fish bowl blanky showed at the bottom of the door.
The baby crawled around in a circle in the new cave and smiled, sure there was going to be a big adventure like her daddy told her about. She piled her blanky up and rested her head on the makeshift pillow and promptly fell asleep.
Susie Conners had until 7:12 A.M. before she died using up the air in the safe.
At 2:30 Nana Conners woke up from a sound sleep. She got up from the chair and stiffly moved slowly down the hall to the baby’s room. The eighty-one year old was pleased to be watching the child while her son and daughter-in-law went rock climbing for a week in the Rockies. However, she would be glad when they got home in two days. The little scamp was a hand full, just like her father was at that age.
Looking into the crib, the Grandmother felt a stab of fear.
“Where are you Susie?” Grandmother Conners shouted while turning on the lights.
She breathed a sigh of relief to not find the baby unconscious on the floor. But her heart started pounding. “Susie, Susie where have you gone?”
Quickly scanning the room, the baby was no where to be found. She wasn’t in the closet either. Going into the hall the old woman noted there was only one other open door. That way went into her son’s study.
Rushing in there, she screamed, “No!”
She saw the inch of baby blanket at the bottom of the closed safe door.
The grandmother pulled on the handle of the safe with all of her might. It was the wrong thing to do as the handle swung in her hand and threw the safe’s four bolts into the locked position. When the door didn’t open she knew what she had done.
Rushing to the desk she dialed 911.
“What is your emergency please?” came the voice on the phone.
“My baby, my darling baby is locked in the safe, help me please!” the grandmother sobbed.

At 2:16 in the morning Dermott woke from a sound sleep and his brain was racing knowing something was very wrong. Groaning, he got out of bed and slowly stumbled to the bathroom. His knees ached, his chest scar was killing him, and he just knew for some reason he wasn’t getting back to bed that morning.
Looking in the bathroom mirror he wasn’t impressed. He had an angry red scar down the center of his chest from triple bypass surgery two weeks ago.
“At least you’re not a tubby any more,” he remarked as illness had shed over a hundred pounds from his frame. He looked like a frail old man, and that really irritated him.
He caught himself chuckling at his bed hair. At 61 he was amazed he had his full head of hair and all of his teeth. Starting in on his morning routine, the early hour really grated on his nerves.
Aching in his chest, he popped two Aleve and downed them with a glass of water. The pain was bad, but he hated what the hospital pain pills did to his body worse. He’d been avoiding taking the hydrocodone as much as possible.
Showered and shaved he put on his best work clothes today. He felt the need to look especially official for some reason as yet unknown. At the mirror once more he noted the work shirt with his name on the pocket: Dermot MacMurrough, Master Locksmith. His wide suspenders were marked with his company name: OPENER OF WAYS. He’d often wondered if he should have had a company name starting with an A, for better placement in the phone book. He laughed it off knowing he had more than enough well paying work to keep him busy.
“Oh, that’s right, I have to pick up the two Irish locksmiths this afternoon,” he said to the mirror.
That was another reason to dress up a bit.
He felt the side of his pants leg and the form of his special screw driver was there as usual. He’d have fun explaining that device to the two locksmiths.
At 2:45 in the morning he was gathering some work things in the garage when the phone rang. He smugly picked up the phone in the garage. He knew there would be an early morning call.
“Hello, Dermot MacMurrough here.”
“Thomas Henderson here. A grandmother called with a big problem only you can solve. A baby is locked in a safe. We’re at 1119 Devendorph Street. You’ll be able to tell it’s the one with all the police, fire, and ambulance trucks in front of it.”
Dermot had worked with the police Chief of Elkhorn before. “I’ll be there in ten minutes. Calm the grandmother down and get her to write down in a clear hand all the birthday dates and anniversary dates she can remember. Have one of your men rip apart the father’s desk looking for some type of safe combination. If there is a locked drawer, don’t hesitate to smash it open. Make sure he looks at the under sides of all the drawers. See if you can get the grandmother to show you two different recent pictures of the baby. Anything else we will figure out when I get there.”
The master locksmith hung up the phone, grabbed the last of the equipment he thought he could use and rushed to the cab of his van. A sharp stab of pain ran up and down his chest scar and he tried and failed to rub it away. He growled at his own weakness and floored the van out of the driveway and into the street.
He wondered if maybe he should get the police to give him a flashing light after this job.

Elkhorn was a small town of ten thousand. It only took seven minutes to get to any house in the city limits. As a boy, Dermott actually lived in a house on the street adjacent to the one he raced toward this morning. He knew the Conners well and even worked with the Dad a time or two.
In seven minutes he pulled up to the side of the h0use and hopped out with a clipboard and his tool belt.
The police chief ushered him into the Connors house and consulted his own clip board. “The grandmother came up with all of the dates. Theon ripped apart the desk and didn’t find numbers of any type. Naturally we tried contacting the parents and haven’t had any luck so far.”
They went through the living room, through a hall, and came into the well lit studio. Bill was a graphic designer.
Dermott saw the bit of blanket. “I suppose there isn’t a chance in the world the baby is somewhere around the house?”
The chief gave him a grim stare. “You are that baby’s only hope. Drill some holes in this safe to give her air or just pop the safe open if you can.”
“No can do chief,” Dermott said. “Come with me to the van.” Dermott was starting to breathe hard from all the tension and moving around. He mentally kicked himself for not bringing his cane. He dropped his work belt by the safe.
“I’m going to warn you that this might be like the Peterson case and the police force is going to have to do some unusual things to get that baby free. Also, I’m far from 100%, but I’ll work as fast as I can.”
Dermott reached into the cab of his van and popped two extra strength Tylenol and gulped them down with a half bottle of water.
“I can’t drill into that safe. It’s an Anderson 1901 floor safe. Those clever bastards randomly placed a canister of tear gas in every one of their safes. If I pop it with a drill bit the baby is dead. I’ll use my normal equipment, but let’s prepare like this is another Peterson case.”
“All right,” Thomas agreed. “The troops won’t like it, but you get results. Give me the list.”
Dermott was starting to breathe hard, but his mind was still clear. “The front door and the garage door, in fact all the doors in the house as well as all of the windows need to be opened until the baby is out. Pull all the vehicles at least a hundred yards away from the house. I need your tallest, no, I need your strongest man to be my helper to fetch and carry things. I need that man to open a can of beer or soda with his bare hands, drink it down and give me the can without any one else touching it.”
Chief Henderson was writing all of this down and didn’t look to be balking at any of it.
Dermott continued, “The females need to unhook their bras, unbutton their blouses, and take off their vests. Have them untie their shoes as well. The men need to take off their bullet proof vests and unbutton their shirts and unzip their pants. They have to untie their shoes as well.”
“No one knows why we have to do that and none of them are going to. . .”
“I know, I know. None of them want to see a dead baby either. It worked with the Peterson case and it has a chance of working now. The list isn’t finished. Do you have any combat armor like the swat teams wear?”
“Sure we have several cars with that equipment,” the chief said.
“Get your strong man in a set of the armor, but don’t fasten any of the Velcro. I have some things for him to do, but in the end he’s going to stand in front of that study door and not let anyone look in or go in. I’ll need that officer now to carry some of the equipment in.”
“Officer Curley Johnson, front and center,” the chief shouted.
A thick officer came away from crowd control at the double.
“Curley, we have another Peterson case and you know how that went. You do what ever Dermott, the master locksmith asks you to do no matter how crazy it sounds. I’m going to get you some equipment to put on. I have to finish working on this list.” The chief walked away with a bemused look on his face.
“Curley, my name is Dermott, you and I are going to get that baby free. I recently had a triple bypass surgery and it’s left me weak as a kitten. Just try to do what I ask no matter how stupid it sounds and we will get along fine. Do you have any problems with that?”
“You just tell me what to do and it’s done,” Curley almost shouted.
Dermott handed Curley some powerful magnets and some testing equipment. “Take these into the study and put them by the safe. Then go to the refrigerator in this place and bring back a can of beer or a soda. I don’t care witch, but hurry. In fact just hurry as fast as you can until you see that baby out of that safe.”
Curley left at a run with the equipment.
Dermott wished he could still move like that. Using his cane he turned to see Linda Paulson come up to him. She was a TV news reporter for CKLR Janesville. How she found out about this, at this time in the morning, he had no idea. Dermott and her had once had a thing despite their age difference as she was 35 to his 62.
Linda was attractive with an hourglass figure and a dazzling smile. She had long blond hair and deep green eyes. There was a mike in her hand that Dermott didn’t like to see.
“Dermott I’m told there is a baby caught in a safe at the Connors house. Is that true?”
Her camera man was taking a shot of the house. Police were stripping off their vests and unlacing their shoes.
“Linda you know I’d love to tell you something, but you’re going to have to get your information from Police Chief Henderson,” Dermott said smiling at the look of frustration on her face.
“They are unlacing their shoes. Is this going to be like the Peterson case?” she asked as she pressed the top of the microphone toward Dermott.
“Linda you always amaze me with what you know and remember,” Dermott said with a forced smile on his face as the camera man now faced him. “I have to get back to work.”
Dermott didn’t make a very fast getaway as he used his cane, but getaway he did.
Linda Paulson unclasps the front of her bra and put on an emergency rain proof slicker to hide her immodest look. She slipped off her shoes and turned to the camera man. “George we’ve got a hot story here, we should be making all the wires tonight. Use the house as a backdrop and position me so that the front door is over my shoulder. Whatever you do, don’t let one of my breasts show on this tape.”
Linda was smiling as she thought about Dermott. The last time she reported on him she went from a weather girl going no where to an on the scene reporter for the station.
“A family is in crisis. At three in the morning a young baby crawls into an open safe. Her grandmother accidently locks the safe instead of opening it. Police chief Thomas Henderson calls in Dermott MacMurrough, an unusually talented master locksmith. The concern is that the baby won’t have enough air to survive the opening of the safe. The locksmith has one last effort, one similar to the Peterson incident last year when six children were saved from death by this same locksmith. Our thoughts and prayers are with the man right now. This is Linda Paulson of CKLR reporting.”

Dermott was weak and the tension was starting to get to him. He couldn’t stand any more so he was working out of the office chair he found in the studio.
Curley came running in with the empty can of Coke. He stood by the safe panting and out of breath.
“Put the can on top of the safe, right above that baby picture I have taped there. Make sure the open top can be seen at the edge of the safe. I just finished trying all of the dates the grandmother gave me and each was a no go. People are always using their birthdays for safe combinations, but not this time. Please hand me that small black box with those ear phones attached.”
“No problem, what is this thing?” Curly asked.
“This thing, Officer Curley Johnson is a state of the art ALARA sonograph. I’m not using any ionizing radiation here as we don’t want to heat up the inside of this safe or have the pressure affect the sensitive tissues of the baby. Just like with an ultrasound for expectant mothers, this little number listens to the tumblers as I turn them and could give me the numbers I need to open the safe,” Dermott reported with a measure of pride in his voice. “Now, while I’m fiddling with this I need you to do two things. Go through this entire house and make sure everyone has unlaced their shoes, removed their vests, and opened up their shirts and blouses. It’s important that the ladies have unhooked their bras and the men have unzipped. They don’t know why, but this baby is depending on them doing those things.”
Dermott tapped the front of the safe for emphasis and Curley didn’t even crack a smile as he nodded his head in understanding.
“Also go into the baby’s room and see if she has a little play house. If she does, open all of its doors and windows and put it on the top of the safe right by the Coke can. Then just stand at the door keeping people quite and out of the room until I call.”
Dermott turned to the safe and started attached the ALARA detection systems. Thirty minutes later he threw down the unit in disgust. He’d had no luck with the sound system. All of the numbers were reporting as the combination numbers. He leaned back in his chair. “The tumblers are so old they all click on the register.”
Chief Henderson was at the door clearly wanting a report. Dermott smiled as Curley wasn’t letting him in.
“It’s all right Curley, let your boss in,” Dermott scowls out as he glares at the safe. He doesn’t get up from the chair as his back is killing him. The master locksmith considers taking some of the hydrocodone pills in his pocket, but he knows they lesson his skills a bit at a time when he can’t afford that. “Thomas this old safe is not cooperating and I’m going to have to try these magnets and I didn’t want to do that.”
“Why not Dermott. What harm can they do?” Thomas asked.
“They could set off the canister of tear gas,” Dermott grimaced. “There is really nothing for it. Please keep everyone quite and far away from the door until I give a shout.”
“Sure I can do that,” the chief said. He left.
Dermott looked at the second picture of the baby he had taped to the safe by the tumbler mechanism. “Curley I need you to do two more things and we will either be very successful or very sad.”
Curley came in and loomed over Dermott in his chair.
“Look carefully around this room and open every drawer, cabinet door, and box that you see. In fact if anything can be opened just open it and don’t be gentle. Give them all a good hard yank and I don’t care if you pull some things out or break things in your efforts. Then go to the door and stand in the doorway looking out. Whatever you do don’t look in here no matter what you hear. On the poor little baby’s life you must be clear on this. You are there to keep people away from the door way and keep them from looking in. Mark the time and in exactly 60 minutes look back and see if I’m alive or dead. If I’m dead, I failed. If I’m alive and I don’t have the baby leave me alone for another sixty minutes and look back again. Am I clear on these things?”
“Crystal clear, master locksmith,” Curley said. “I’ll get right on this. No one will get near the door with me around.”
Dermott was just sitting there looking at the safe door. Curley got to work.
“This just might do you in, me boyo,” Dermott said to himself as he slowly rose up and called on an inner strength he hadn’t used since before his heart operation. “Ah, you’ve had a good life. What’s the sense of worrying about something that might not happen. You are the seventh son of a seventh son and you have a good bit of power. It’s time to use it again to do some good. But by the good god that made me, my chest hurts.”
He started making lazy clockwise circles with his hands and sparks leapt from his fingers and went into the safe. For a moment his eyes wandered the room and saw all the open things. He could sense all the open doors and windows in the house as well as the people making an effort to be open with their clothes and bodies. He drew in all of that opening energy that he could. In seconds he sensed the sleeping baby. His essence took in the locks and how they worked. He could see in his mind’s eye where the bolts needed to be to unlock the guts of the safe.
In a whisper so that no being could hear it, he challenged the door and threw his essence like a weapon at the bolts inside the door of the safe. “My name is Dermott Finnen MacMurrough. I am a master lock smith and stronger than you, Anderson 1901 floor safe. You will open for me or I will know the reason why. In a move of faith he twisted the safe handle and motioned with his other hand to open the bolts locking the door.
He breathed a sigh of relief as the door opened. The sleeping baby lay on the floor of the safe. A thrill coursed through his body and gave him a great strength. For a time he forgot about the pain of his heart and chest. He forgot the weakness that seconds before wrapped his body and slowed him down.
He grabbed her up, not waking her. Suddenly all the strength drained away in his body as he sat with the little girl in his arms. He promptly fell asleep with a smile on his face.
At the allotted time Curley timidly looked into the studio. There in the chair was the baby and the locksmith. Not sure what to do, Curley motioned for the Chief of Police to come over to the door and look inside.
A look of wonder filled Thomas Henderson’s face. He had no idea how that old man could have opened that safe, but he didn’t care. “Curley, tell the others to get dressed again. We have some good news for that old crying grandmother.”
The Chief went in to wake the baby and the hero of the day.

What do you know it fit. Now let's see if I can post it.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:41 am 
Site Admin

Jim,

Thanks for sharing that! I started to get twitchy just reading about the child going near the open safe, let alone getting into it!

If that's what we can expect throughout the book, it is going to be great :)

Craig J. Brain

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:57 am 
Gunnery Sergeant - E7
Gunnery Sergeant - E7

Nice preview! This looks like a lot of fun to read!

OD&D DungeonMaster - Started with the white box in 1975.
Member #005 to join these boards!

Board index » Eldritch Enterprises